Monday, August 23, 2010

Why am I here?

Surrounded by intellectual minds shrinks me down into just a little girl walking into her first day of kindergarten. I remember when Stevie Bowden found the yellow necklace I had lost in the coat room; I was so proud to borrow it from my mother. He didn't believe me when I said that it belonged to me, and then he gave it to Michelle Higgins. It was an injustice that has stuck with me my entire life. I haven't seen Stevie since I was a little girl, but I still remember the way that he made me feel that day.

I don't really grasp it when people say that it was God's calling that brought them here. However, maybe there is something that brings us all to where we need to be. Not destiny, really, but something else; a body memory that guides you to find balance in life. For me it's that feeling; down in the pit of my stomach where helplessness and unfairness mix together into tears that slowly collected behind my eyelids. It's that knot in the back of my throat that seems to grow when I swallow, and makes my whole body tremble. They can call it God's calling, I suppose, or destiny, or whatever. They can call it anything they want. For me, it's just a pretty yellow necklace that I never saw again.

1 comment:

bairdduvessa said...

you are one of the most beautiful, brilliant minded people i have never met. though you have insecurities, and fears...i see only a brilliant mind that will rock the world one day.

Post a Comment