Friday, April 17, 2009

Yo, can I get an application?

When I was still managing at a restaurant, we'd have a zillion people come in every single day asking for job applications. Some people are just ridiculous, and I'm amazed that anywhere actually hired them before. We'd have the usual string of people who don't bother to bring their own pen when they're coming in specifically to fill out an application. These people aren't so bad, but we don't hire them either. You're not even prepared to fill out the frickin' application, and you expect us to trust that you'll come prepared to work? Don't think so.

On one occasion a guy came and started talking to someone who worked there about how hung over he was because he was soooo shit faced the day before. While they were leaning against the bar laughing about it, he looks at me and says, "Yo, do you think I can get a job application?" I responded with, "What position are you applying for?" to which he replied, "Kitchen." His server friend then says, "You don't want to wait tables?" and the job applicant responded with, "Nah dude, fuck that. I hate serving people. I used to work here before." I then asked him why he left the first time, and he said he "got fired for some bullshit." Hah! Next, please.



On another occasion I had a guy come in with his mom to eat lunch. Before their food came out the mother started looming around the bar until the bartender asked her if she needed anything. She asked for an application, so I went to grab her one, wondering what position this lady could possibly want since she was well into her 40s at least. As I'm approaching her with the application, I ask if she was the one looking for the application (after a while every guest starts to look the same) and she says, "Well... no.... it's for my son." This means that either his mom decided that he's going to fill out this application, or he asked her to go get one for him. Does she get to decide his schedule? Do you think she'll call in for him when he's sick too?!



And then finally, my absolute favorite... some random guy came in while I was bartending and asked me for an application. I went back to the office to grab one, then came back and handed it to him. He said he'd take it home and bring it back later (better than asking for a pen) and then said, "Girl, I'd looove to work witchu. You be fiiine. When I come back wit dis later, you best tell your manager to hire me, aight?" HAH! I AM the manager. I blatantly laughed in his face. Did he think flattery would really help his cause? Next!


Maybe I've just grown cold hearted and I'm being a bit harsh... but would you hire them?

No comments:

Post a Comment